Bus transportation is a privilege, not a right, and the following rules must be followed by students:
Rules for Waiting at the Bus Stop
- Be on time.
- Respect others and their property.
- Stay away from the street, road or highway.
- Keep safety in mind…no shoving, running or pushing.
Procedure for Boarding the School Bus
- Line up in single file.
- Approach the bus only when it has stopped and the driver has opened the door.
- Don’t push or crowd others.
- Use the handrail, climb the steps one at a time, and be seated quickly.
Rules When Riding the Bus
- Obey the driver’s instructions.
- Promptly be seated and remain in your seat.
- Speak quietly and use appropriate language.
- Keep all parts of your body inside the bus.
- Keep the bus clean and do not damage it.
- Do not throw any object.
- Do not bring weapons/dangerous objects on the bus.
- The use of alcohol, tobacco and drugs is prohibited.
- Fighting, harassment, and horseplay are prohibited.
Procedures for Leaving a School Bus
- Remain seated until the bus stops.
- Let the students in front get off first.
- Don’t push or crowd.
- Watch your step and use the handrail.
- Move out of the “danger zone”.
Procedure for Safe Crossing of Vehicle Lanes
- Move away from the side of the bus to at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
- Turn to the driver and make eye contact.
- Wait for the driver to signal that it is safe to cross.
- Walk 10 feet in front of the bus & stop to check for vehicles that might violate the stop arm.
- When it’s safe…complete the crossing.
Procedures for Emergency Evacuation
There are three different evacuation plans:
- Using only the front service door
- Using only the rear (or side) emergency door
- Using both the service door & the emergency door
Whichever plan is used, students need to:
- Be quiet and wait for instructions from the driver.
- Be alert and move quickly.
- Keep your feet out of the aisle, go out seat by seat, alternating sides.
- Duck your head when going out the emergency door.
- After you are out of the door, move away from the bus as this clears the way for others to follow.
- Go a distance of at least 100 feet from the bus and remain there in a group until given further instructions by the driver.
Unacceptable Behavior on Our Buses
Damaging Bus Property
- Cutting, destroying seats
- Scratching or marring finish of seats
- Breaking windows
- Sassing, talking back to bus driver
- Name calling
Injury to Others
- Hitting, scratching, kicking, pushing, tripping other riders
- Throwing things
- Failure to stay clear when bus is approaching
- Failure to stay clear after getting off the bus
- Playing around with safety door or safety equipment
- Hanging out the window
- Throwing objects in the bus, out of the bus, or at the bus
- Hanging on the bus bumper
- Yelling, screaming
- Shouting across the bus
- Playing radios loudly
- Creating a disturbance with other kinds of noises
Disobeying the Driver
- Failure to follow the driver’s directions
- Harassment of driver or others
- The use of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs
- Any behavior not included above but felt by the drivers to warrant a report